The Copyright Office has issued a public notice dated May 22, 2018 inviting attention of general public and stakeholders to the fact that Recorded Music Performance Limited (RMPL) has vide their application dated March 26, 2018 applied through the Registrar of Copyrights, before the Central Government for its registration as a copyright society under Section 33 of the Copyright Act, 1957 in respect of Sound Recording Works. The application is under consideration. The Registrar has invited suggestions and objections from stakeholders within 60 days from the publication of the notice. The notice, application and related documents can be viewed here.
The current list of names mentioned as applicants include:
- Sovan Lal Saha (Chairman)- Indian Record Manufacturing Company Ltd
- Suresh Thangiah- Strumm Entertainment Private Limited
- Sitaram Agarwalla- Sarthak Music Private Limited
- Dewal Prashar- Meshi Creations Private Limited
- Deepak Bali- Yellow Music Private Limited
- Sanjay Arjundas Wadhwa- AP International
- Durgaram Choudhary- RDC Media Pvt. Ltd
In view of PPL no longer being a copyright society and its historic mess, the formation of a new copyright society for sound recording works seems a welcome move.
Image source: here